Monday, August 8, 2011

Crow

Dear friends,

It has been a crazy summer--I quit my job, in order to try and finally heal this broken bone in my foot which has been a source of pain and frustration for over a year and a half now. Quitting my job also allowed me to travel down South (home) for a few weeks and see family and friends and attend one of the loveliest weddings I could ever imagine. After returning home, I began dancing for a few of my colleagues in their work, and found out my grandmother passed away...

All of this whirlwind connecting to the past has gotten me thinking about community and memory and where we house our memories in our bodies, and how those memories make themselves known; those memories can also be falsified and can betray themselves. I cannot tell you for sure what the next piece I am working on will end up looking like, but I feel like it has something to do with my grieving process and the transient nature of the majority of our relationshps in life.

I grow weary of the melodramatic in dance--as if when we aren't serious or sad then our work isn't to be taken seriously. I am also acutely aware of the "bad art" of making the dance equivalent of what I like to call "bad teenage poetry". I really don't want to do that.

And a friend of mine once told me that my works are always too intelligent--that I overthink things, rely on layering meaning and editing movement too much, and it makes them sort of inaccessible. So her challenge to me was just to do the research, and create the movement without analyzing but trusting that the concepts are there. So that is my goal.

I am making a new work, tentatively titled "Crow", which I want to grow organically. The challenge in this endeavor is that because of all the whirlwind of the summer, I only have one month (a week of which I will be with my grandfather and family) to pull it together. I'm excited to see what is going to come.

Our first showing will be as part of the Philly Fringe Festival on September 11th at CHI MAC (Home of Kun-Yang Lin Dancers) in South Philly. We will have shows at 4pm and 7pm and tickets are only going to be $10!

Here is our postcard!


Our second showing will be at the Open Performance Series in Brooklyn on September 28th at 8pm. It will be held in the “Great Room” at the Space located at 138 S. Oxford St. in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment